Home Foren Ledger Wallet Passphrase und neue Konten

• Dieses Thema hat 4 Antworten und 1 Teilnehmer, und wurde zuletzt aktualisiert vor 1 Jahr, 1 Monat von tispis.
Ansicht von 4 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Hallo Gruppe Ich würde gerne eine Passphrase zu meinem Ledger nano hinzufügen. Nach dem, was ich gelesen habe, werden dadurch neue Konten erstellt, auf die mit einer anderen PIN zugegriffen werden kann. Meine Frage ist, ob meine Münzen automatisch auf die neuen Konten übertragen werden? Oder muss ich eine manuelle Übertragung vornehmen. Ich möchte nichts vermasseln und den Zugriff auf meine Münzen nicht verlieren. Für jeden Ratschlag wäre ich dankbar.

Yodel_And_Hodl_Mode
      Gast
      Up
      Down

> My question is do my coins get automatically transferred to the new accounts?

No.

Your coins never move unless you move them.

When you create a passphrase, what you’re actually doing is creating another account. So, you’ll have an account at SEED PHRASE and a second account at SEED PHRASE + PASSPHRASE. This means, you’ll have to move your coins from one account to the other.

Your coins aren’t actually in your Ledger hardware wallet. They’re on the blockchain. Your Ledger holds your keys, not your coins. That’s very important to understand. That’s why it’s so easy for you to recover your coins even if your Ledger gets lost, stolen or destroyed. Just buy a new wallet and restore your seed and your passphrase. Presto! Your new wallet knows where to find your coins on the blockchain (EDIT for clarity: Your wallet ‘knows’ once you restore your seed, and once you restore your seed+passphrase).

Your coins are always on the blockchain. Your seed (or seed+passphrase) tells your wallet how to access them.

> I don’t want to stuff anything up an lose access to my coins. Any advice would be appreciated.

The most important advice is this: make sure you’ve secured your seed on paper (or by using some sort of steel contraption like a Crypto Steel or something like that) and also make sure you secure your passphrase – but not with your seed, because if your seed is ever found, you wouldn’t want that person to find your passphrase too. But DO write your passphrase down and secure it somewhere secret. Not on your phone. Not on your Mac or PC. Not in the cloud.

P.S. Before you create a passphrase, do some googling on best practices, so you can be sure you’ve created a good passphrase. 5 to 10 words with spaces in between is good. I’d say a minimum of 20 characters, preferably under 50 (Ledger allows up to 100 characters for a passphrase, but not all other wallets do. I think Trezor only allows up to 50, so for future compatibility, just in case, I’d say keep it under 50).

OneDistance9786
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Interested in the answer as well. I have a nano s but just bought an x after realizing I couldn’t fit all the apps in it. Is it best to just setup the x as a new device and store what wouldn’t fit on the s, or run it in conjunction with the s and store what apps I had plus what I couldn’t fit? Hope this makes sense to someone lol. Trying to practice the golden rule and still learning a lot after being a “keep on exchange” guy. Thanks for any help!

icydee
      Gast
      Up
      Down

One thing you can do is add the passphrase to your wallet and transfer all but a small amount of your coins to it. There are a number of defi where you can do this, e.g. pancake swap.

Your original seedphrase only wallet is now a ‘canary’ wallet, if anyone steals your crypto because they find your seedphrase you can set it up to send an alert. That gives you time to move and protect the bulk of your crypto from the seedphrase + passphrase wallet.

Of course, if you want to add a passphrase because you are worried that your current wallet may be compromised then set up both a new seedphrase and passphrase

tispis
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Let’s say my Ledger is broken and doesn’t work anymore but I have my seed and passphrase handy. Are the passphrase accounts recoverable in any other cold wallet device? or do you need to buy a new Ledger if you want to restore your passphrase wallets?

Ansicht von 4 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.