Home Foren Ledger Wallet Aufbewahrung des Backup-Ledgers in einem Bankschließfach

• Dieses Thema hat 35 Antworten und 1 Teilnehmer, und wurde zuletzt aktualisiert vor 8 Monaten, 2 Wochen von Maleficent_Pilot_962.
Ansicht von 35 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Als ich kürzlich in den Nachrichten von einigen Häusern sah, die so schnell in Flammen aufgingen, dass die Besitzer nur knapp mit dem Leben davonkamen, kam mir der Gedanke, mein Backup-Ledger woanders aufzubewahren. Natürlich werde ich meine Seed-Phrase nicht irgendwo aufbewahren, wo ich keine Kontrolle über sie habe, aber ich könnte mein Ledger auf jeden Fall in einem Schließfach bei meiner Bank aufbewahren. Die Seed-Phrase hätte ich dann zwar nicht mehr, aber zumindest könnte ich alles auf eine neue Wallet übertragen, wenn ich eine Seed-Phrase erstellen kann. Hat jemand eine Meinung zu dieser Idee?

SecretPrimary7181
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Get rid of the ledger and buy a blockstream Jade then buy a 3×3 titanium sheet off Amazon

Opioidopamine
      Gast
      Up
      Down

thats what I do, safety deposit, as well as other locations. slim possibility that any of those get compromised, but within the realm of possibility

kenlbear
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Safe deposit boxes are the first targets of tax collectors and bankruptcy courts.

Maleficent_Pilot_962
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Wouldn’t it be safer to rely on dedicated Cryptosteel Capsule/Cassette-type backup devices? This way, there’s no need to worry. If necessary, you can split the seed among multiple devices or use a Shamir backup, which is sensible for larger investments.

No_Lynx8826
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I have my 24 word passphrase stamped into metal, in a fire proof safe. I don’t need no bank.

travelinzac
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Safety deposit boxes are not all that safe

Street-Brief-6533
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I find it weird you are in crypto but consider using a safe deposit box. Buy a fire proof safe and a capsule for your backup ledger. If it burns down go grab a coffee and wait till you can get to your safe. No monthly cost, 24/7 access, no worries if your bank closes the doors.

bmoreRavens1995
      Gast
      Up
      Down

It’s the seeds that are most important over the device lol get a fireproof bag or safe

mooremo
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Go for it. Also consider storing a CryptoSteel, CryptoTag, or another kind of metal seed backup at home.

Quiet_International
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Yes, it’s fine – set a strong pin. Store it in a safe deposit box. Draw a unique picture on the ledger with a perm marker so you can be sure it’s not been replaced with a fake one later.

InteractiveLedger
      Gast
      Up
      Down

>at my bank.

The irony.

alpaka7
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Cryptosteel capsule.

OracularTitaness
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Having a seed in a safe at home is a risk. Either you will get robbed while away, or you will get hit by a $5 wrench attack.
      Rent 2 safety deposit boxes and split the phrase into 2. Store half in every location, including your home and your family.
      Store ledger with half of the seed in every deposit box.
      You have solved a wrench attack and have good backup plan.

Most_Raccoon_587
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I have 2 ledger nano xs, both at my house. One I use as a primary, it moves around a little bit.. not much, but it’s not nailed down, so I could possibly loose it. The other one stashed away. It only comes out for firmware updates and then back to its spot.

I have one seed phrase at home. Hidden.

I have one seed phrase at a safety deposit box at a bank.

I have a passphrase in my head.

And I have one person, who only knows my passphrase and that I have a seed phrase in this bank. (And that person is my 18 year old son)

It’s not perfect. But it’s as perfect as I can get.

Miadas20
      Gast
      Up
      Down

That’s fine. Don’t listen to anybody whinging on principles. If you store the device in the deposit box and NOT the seed phrase, that’s fine and you’ll have an accessible, reliable backup in case of the loss or destruction of your other device.

Huth_S0lo
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Thats what I do. Best $60 a year I’ve ever spent.

OracularTitaness
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Having a seed in a safe at home is a risk. Either you will get robbed while away, or you will get hit by a $5 wrench attack.
      Rent 2 safety deposit boxes and split the phrase into 2. Store half in every location, including your home and your family.
      Store ledger with half of the seed in every deposit box.
      You have solved a wrench attack and have good backup plan.

bubeagle
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Go for it. Don’t see anything wrong storing it is a safe deposit bank.

loupiote2
      Gast
      Up
      Down

no point storing a ledger is a safety deposit box. you can keep your ledgers in your kitchen drawer and anywhere else.

What you should keep in a safe is your recovery / seed phrase.

Juankestein
      Gast
      robomartin
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Yeah that makes sense to me. I wouldn’t rely on that as a sole fireproof backup though. The battery could fail. You’ll also need to keep up with firmware updates. So still keep your phrase on a steel plate or a steel capsule.

I’ve also thought about doing Shamir’s secret and spreading the pieces across three or more boxes, but renting three or more boxes is expensive given the amount of crypto I have.

I think one seed phrase in a box is sort of okay too. It’s risky. You can read horror stories of boxes being mistakenly drilled and the contents being moved to insecure storage and items going missing, even if the client was keeping up with payments, but it can be less risky if you don’t another safe place to keep it.

A safe at home is a bad option too. Watch the YouTube videos of Archie Luxury having all his watches stolen. He probably wishes he used a safety deposit box.

FaceMobile6970
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Only thing I wonder about is if you leave it in the box for years without updating firmware it may not work when you do plug it in. But it’s safer in the safety deposit box because you’re less likely to lose it or suffer a $5 wrench attack. Same for paper copies of private keys.

BitcoinGoddess666
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Definitely not. Giving the bank access

[deleted]
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Bitcoin in a safety deposit box goes against everything there is to owning bitcoin, or a ledger at that. You want the bank to hold your ledger for you?

BDM-Archer
      Gast
      Up
      Down

You sound like you think that crypto is stored on your ledger, like word documents are stored on a USB drive..that’s not how this works.

cheeb_ledger
      Gast
      Up
      Down

It really depends on user preference. If there’s a place that you know is absolutely safe, **with certainty** then please feel free to use it – but always make sure you’re positive of what you’re doing.

Safety deposit boxes can be helpful, however there are pros and cons to this approach and you’ll want to look into these before making any more concrete decisions.

Splitting copies of your 24 word recovery phrase is helpful, but you **must** be careful with how you store these as they’re the literal keys to your crypto and any/all accounts derived from your 24 word recovery phrase (and the Ledger that you generated it from).

Looking into having a [passphrase](https://www.ledger.com/academy/passphrase-an-advanced-security-feature) is also ideal – that way you could split up your 24 word recovery phrase from your passphrase and have a way to fallback upon your accounts being separated – however you’ll want to read up on how passphrases work before you get any accounts set up – it can be a bit daunting for users if they haven’t used passphrases before.

Gay4Pandas
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I got a backup of my key phrase outside my home split up in two pieces. One part hidden in my car, another locked up and hidden in a storage shed. The thought of my house blowing up has crossed my mind.

omg-whats-this
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I think that’s a good idea. Might as well do it myself too

KOJIbKA
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Got punches for metal indexes. Found zinc plate. Applied some force to press both together. Put additional plate on top of the result. Got two blank plates that can’t be seen without tools to disassemble them. They serve as part of my house structure at the moment. Only problem is to change place of stay.

rjm101
      Gast
      Up
      Down

There have been horror stories with safety deposit boxes being discarded and the owner finding out later the contents have been lost. I would only have the contents in it form part of a multisig or shamir backup scheme so if the contents did get stolen or lost it wouldn’t really matter.

ImpressiveVictory951
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I own multiple properties so my important data is backed up in multiple locations no safe deposit box needed …

nsrbigoda
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Why would you trust a bank???

No_Lynx8826
      Gast
      Up
      Down

If an airliner crashes into my house, spills hundred of gallons of Jet A and burns for hours…then I am fucked…. Kind of.

My lawsuit with the airline will still net me millions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Any-Outlandishness68
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Yes. I have 1 in my safe, 1 in my dads safe and my third in his safety deposit box

antineutrinos
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I am considering the following:
      – generate an offline GPG key pair using Tails (https://tails.boum.org/)
      – encrypt my seed on tails, and copy the encrypted version to a usb drive
      – add my GPG private key to a Yubikey

decryption can only happen with the Yubikey connected and touched. could also use a yubikey bio (with fingerprint) if desired.

My only concern is the “technical debt”. what happens 5, 10 or 20 years form now? will all this still be supported?

Ansicht von 35 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.