Home Foren Ledger Wallet Ledger versucht, mich zum Kauf einer neuen Hardware-Wallet zu bewegen, nachdem meine plötzlich nicht mehr aktualisiert wurde (ohne mein Verschulden)

• Dieses Thema hat 14 Antworten und 1 Teilnehmer, und wurde zuletzt aktualisiert vor 1 Woche, 4 Tage von The_Jack_Burton.
Ansicht von 14 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Ziemlich enttäuscht von Ledger, da ich ihnen mein Vermögen anvertraut habe.

Mein Ledger-Gerät funktionierte nicht mehr (steckte im Bootloader-Modus fest, während ich versuchte, die Firmware zu aktualisieren). Ich wandte mich an den Ledger-Support und versuchte jede Lösung, die sie mir vorschlugen.

Sie stuften das Gerät als defekt ein (praktischerweise außerhalb meiner Garantiezeit). Ich habe das Gerät immer wie vorgesehen verwendet und es nie aus dem Büro mitgenommen. Ich habe die Firmware regelmäßig nach Aufforderung aktualisiert, aber jetzt sitze ich mit einer kalten Wallet fest, in der sich mein Vermögen befindet, auf das ich keinen Zugriff habe.

Die Copy/Paste-Antwort von Ledger lautete, dass sie angesichts der Tatsache, dass die Garantiezeit abgelaufen sei, nur einen Rabatt auf ein neues Gerät anbieten könnten. Darüber hinaus fand ich es beunruhigend, dass sie erklärten, ihre Geräte seien “Verbrauchsmaterial, wie jede andere Elektronik”. Ich speichere mein Vermögen auf diesen Geräten, und das Letzte, was ich erwarte, ist zu hören, dass sie nach ein paar Jahren weggeworfen werden. Ich bin an einem Punkt angelangt, an dem ich es für unfair halte, mich zum Kauf eines neuen Geräts zu zwingen, wenn das Gerät ohne mein Verschulden kaputt gegangen ist.

Jetzt, wo der Kryptomarkt wieder in Bewegung ist, bin ich ihnen ausgeliefert, um mein Vermögen zurückzuerhalten, und sie nutzen dies eindeutig als Druckmittel.

Ist noch jemand auf eine ähnliche Situation gestoßen? Obwohl es sich hier um ein Ledger-Sub handelt, verwendet jemand hier andere Cold-Wallet-Alternativen, die nicht nur “Verbrauchsmaterial” sind?

hobbyhacker
      Gast
      Up
      Down

>Now that the crypto market is moving again, I am at their mercy to retrieve my assets and they are clearly using this as leverage.

Ledger has no ability in any way to limit your access to your assets. It’s just a tool to sign transactions in a secured environment. You have countless other (however not so secure) ways to access your wallet without ledger. But it is good practice to have an another (cheapest) ledger device as backup, similarly to any other important devices, like hard drive backups or backup house/car keys.

r_a_d_
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Why would you expect any company to give you a new device outside of the warranty period? Things break. I have two for this reason, if one breaks I use the other while I order a new one.

santaslayer0932
      Gast
      Up
      Down

You can actually access these funds with any other wallet. Eg Trezor

But I do understand how you feel with their copy paste response. I had a different situation and they just flicked me off with a promise of a $20 discount for a replacement. I just moved ,y business elsewhere instead.

OMAW3D
      Gast
      Up
      Down

You do not store your assets on these ledger devices, your assets are always stored on the Blockchain. Your ledger facilitates accessing your addresses on the Blockchain, and manages your private keys.
      I think you need to read up a bit on these things.
      The ledger is an electronic device and like any other electronic thing, they can break. Ledger are under no obligation to replace your device for free outside of the warranty period – this is standard consumer practice.

If you were happy with your ledger, I see no reason not to take the discount offered, buy a new one and restore your private keys to it. Alternatively, you are free to purchase alternatives – but I would suggest that you think again if the driving behind that decision is Ledgers response to your issue with this particular device.

AshamedFlame
      Gast
      Up
      Down

You do know your assets are not stored in your ledger hardware right?

Dizzy-Discussion-107
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Well, these devices will break eventually and they are not made to last for decades.

No one forced you to buy a ledger. So you have 2 options. Buy a new one or simply use mnemonic seed to access your crypto the other way and move to some other address.

ArmchairCryptologist
      Gast
      Up
      Down

The term “consumables” is quite applicable, I’ve had seven Ledger devices fail on me at this point – three with defective screens (Nano S), one with a defective USB port (Nano S), two with a defective battery (Nano X and Blue) and one that suddenly stopped booting past the white startup screen (different Blue). Leaving me with three working ones (2x Nano S and 1x Nano X).

But the term only applies to Ledger devices. So far I have had zero defective devices from their most relevant competitors, with larger sample sizes and more use. My advice is to simply pick a different brand who don’t make their devices as “consumables”. I certainly do.

StatisticalMan
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Electronic devices fail. All electronic devices eventually. The ledger is merely a device to control access. Your seed phrase (“24 word”) is your wallet.

There is no requirement you replace your ledger with another ledger. You could buy any other BIP-39 compatible hardware wallet. You could also use a software wallet with all the risks that entails. Regardless whatever device you buy to replace the ledger likely will fail in time too.

I have two LedgerX which are going on five years old now so they all don’t fail one day out of warranty.

crypt0kiddie
      Gast
      Up
      Down

OP,

You didn’t mention which model you have.

I’m guessing either the Nano X or older Nano S, but I’m leaning towards the Nano S?

btc_clueless
      Gast
      Up
      Down

These stuck on bootloader problems were pretty common with the early Nano S in 2017/18 but haven’t seen much problems with that since then. I vaguely remember that one of my firmware update got stuck in bootloader, I was about to give up. But then read a few tips on here and eventually made it work by holding/releasing one (or both?) buttons while it was booting up (sorry, can’t remember the details).

Either way, as others have said, these devices don’t last forever. I would get a new Nano S Plus if you want to stick to the Ledger brand.

justanotheruser-o_o
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Just buy another HW froma different brand, I suggest BitBox02

FirePoolGuy
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I’m with you on this one. These are simple devices, how do they break so easily? I have flash drives from around 2008 that still work. My Nano S hasn’t bombed yet but im waiting for Ledger to stop support for it for whatever odd reason.

pringles_ledger
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Hi – you always have access to your tokens as long as you’ve your 24 words seed phrase. Your coins are not stored in your device or Ledger Live app, instead, they are stored on the blockchain. Your device holds the private keys that give you access to your account and app provides a visual interface to view and manage your balances. [https://www.ledger.com/academy/crypto/where-are-my-coins](https://www.ledger.com/academy/crypto/where-are-my-coins)

To retrieve your assets you can simply get a new Ledger device and restore it with your 24 words seed phrase. After this you will be able to manage your assets with your new device. More info here: [https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404382560913-Restore-your-Ledger-accounts-with-your-recovery-phrase?support=true](https://support.ledger.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404382560913-Restore-your-Ledger-accounts-with-your-recovery-phrase?support=true)

The_Jack_Burton
      Gast
      Up
      Down

>I store my assets on these devices

No, you don’t. Your assets are on the blockchain. You can use any other cold or hot wallet that supports BIP39 to access your assets. Things break, electronics glitch, it happens. Your assets are no more or less secure with a broken Ledger. When my TV craps out after warranty I don’t demand a new one for free, why should this be any different?

​

>does anyone here use any other cold wallet alternatives that are not mere “consumables”?

All cold wallets are electronic devices and are therefore “consumable”. If Ledger pissed you off, maybe get a Trezor next instead. The same thing will inevitably happen though.

Ansicht von 14 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.