Home Foren Trezor Wallet Shamir Backup Fragen

• Dieses Thema hat 6 Antworten und 2 Teilnehmer, und wurde zuletzt aktualisiert vor 1 Jahr, 10 Monaten von SilverTruth7809.
Ansicht von 6 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Ich habe einige Fragen zu Shamir-Backups:

Angenommen, ich habe ein 6-von-9-Shamir-Backup mit einem Trezor, und 1 Freigabe geht verloren, ist es dann möglich, eine neue, gültige neunte Freigabe mit 6 der 8 verbleibenden Freigaben zu erstellen?

Ist es außerdem möglich, nach der Wiederherstellung einer Shamir-Sicherung neue Anteile zu erstellen? Könnten diese Anteile mit älteren Anteilen kombiniert werden?

TheArabianNights
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Most of the answer are totally wrong …

* Suppose I have a 6-of-9 shamir backup using a trezor and 1 share is lost, is it possible to create a new, valid 9th share using 6 of the 8 remaining shares?
      NO, the shares are only visible during the initial creation of the wallet.
      You can of course still recover your wallet because you have enough shares.
      If you lose shares and wish to have all 9 shares, you MUST create a new wallet and transfer the funds to the new wallet ( [Trezor Wiki Moving funds to a wallet with a newly generated seed](https://wiki.trezor.io/User_manual:Moving_funds_to_a_wallet_with_a_newly_generated_seed) )
      * Furthermore after recovering a shamir backup is it possible to create new shares? Would these shares be combinable with older shares?
      No and No, the shares are only visible during the initial creation of the wallet

Trezor Shamir Backup is a more complex and more expensive than the classic 12/24 words, but offers :

* higher security regarding theft or loss
      * administrative control of master seed ([used for example for inheritance purpose](https://blog.trezor.io/protecting-your-bitcoin-inheritance-with-shamir-backup-77b5bc77ea5a))

joeltang
      Gast
      Up
      Down

No, if you lose one share, it’s gone. Shamir seems great but I’m ditching it and going multisig. I don’t like that only the model T can restore it. Other ways of restoring it is too complex in the event of my death. Those model T’s are fragile and I’ve already broken the screen on one and they do not offer replacement parts or repair. If I stick with regular backups, I can easily restore as a hot wallet if I’m in a crunch.

RothePro88
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Shamir is too confusing, I prefer bip39

Midar3
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Given that Trezor has the seed, theoretically, yes, it would be possible to create new Shamir secrets. But, just as the Trezor does not allow showing the seed again, it does not allow creating new Shamir secrets.

matejcik
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Not 100% sure but I believe that it’s _technically_ possible. You would need all the 8 remaining shares and you would be able to calculate a 9th to complete the set.

Practically speaking, you can recover the 6 shares and generate a new completely independent set of 6-of-9 that recover to the same data.

Even practicallier, that can only be done on your PC. It is not a functionality built into Trezor.

SilverTruth7809
      Gast
      Up
      Down

The only way to “add” shares is to create a new shamir Backup with more shares and for this you would have to have your normal seed.

So from 12/24 word seed to shamir its possible, if you lose a share just create a new shamir version of your 12/24 word seed.

But without your 12/24 word seed, i dont think its possible.

Ansicht von 6 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.