Home Foren Ledger Wallet Wann lohnt sich ein Ledger?

• Dieses Thema hat 32 Antworten und 2 Teilnehmer, und wurde zuletzt aktualisiert vor 2 Jahren, 1 Monat von Lhadar31.
Ansicht von 32 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Ich weiß, dass dies eine subjektive Frage ist, aber ich bin neugierig auf eure Meinungen. Ohne die Portfoliogröße offenzulegen, ab wann denken Sie, dass ein Portfolio eine kalte Wallet rechtfertigt?

Update zu dieser Frage: Dank des Feedbacks von Ihnen habe ich gestern Abend einen Ledger Nano X gekauft. Ich bin sicher, dass ich in den kommenden Wochen und Monaten noch mehr Fragen haben werde. Herzlichen Dank! Ich freue mich darauf, meine neue Reise zu beginnen.

forcelliott
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I know for me, it’s not a question of asset value or diversity that justifies the purchase of a cold storage wallet. It’s about security.

Let’s say your bank account becomes compromised and someone takes your hard earned paycheck out- you’re able to get your money back as long as you report it and go through due process. On the other side of things, because cryptocurrency is decentralized, it doesn’t have the backing of a bank or government, so an account becoming compromised comes with a much higher risk, leading to increased need for security. Someone takes your coins, you receive a hard lesson and that’s that.

As the crypto space has developed, some exchanges have implemented security measures to protect customers **to some degree**. But as you’ve likely seen in the news recently CDC (crypto dot com) was hacked and customers lost roughly 14 million in ETH and in response to this, CDC froze withdrawals.

You’ve also probably heard the saying “not your keys, not your coins”. That can be (grossly) oversimplified to mean “unless the cash is in my hand, do I really own it?”

As someone who has DCA’d his way into a small nest egg, I can say I feel much safer knowing my coins are stored in ***my*** wallet, and not someone else’s- no matter how reputable they may be *right now*.

I understand there is a lot I left out here, but hopefully this provides you with a bit of insight into why a cold storage wallet is something important to consider.

boredtodeath78
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Once you have more on an exchange than you’d happily carry around fiat in a normal wallet.

shedrat84
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I reckon soon after you start and have a general idea of things. Why take the risk? To save a few extra dollars?? Most (I’d say every) person into crypto has more value invested in coin than the cost of a cold wallet. Why wouldn’t you take that extra step?

weedium
      Gast
      Up
      Down

As soon as you reach a value you would not want to lose.

fried_rambutan
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Some would argue that only after a certain X amount should you get cold wallet.

I beg to differ. The sooner you get yourself accustomed to the best practices handling crypto the safer it is to dive deeper into the crypto ecosystem.

BarcockHobama
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Probably once you get between $1K and $5K I’d say. Be careful for fees when transferring to cold wallet.

sciencetaco
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Don’t just think in terms of amount, but in terms of *time*. If you’re planning to hold for 5+ years…I wouldn’t trust my funds on any exchange.

This industry is barely a decade old, it’s going to go through so much change in 5 years that it’s impossible to know what will happen.

By transferring to your own wallet where you control the keys offline…you’re not worrying about any company still being around, or still having your login details in the future, or somebody else trying to access your account, and you’re not worrying about any electronic failures. My Ledger-generated seed on a metal backup plate is not going to suddenly fail.

SD5150
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When you have more than the cost of a ledger to protect.

dansondrums
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I can’t say exaggerate how happy I am with mine. Got mine a year ago. Since ATOM was one of the only 2 that were easy to stake from the app, I bought and staked some. After I got annoyed with the current Algo mess, I decided to dive into ATOM/COSMOS and found out that I had a bunch of coins dropped into my wallets just for staking ATOM.

I really like how ledger combined with the keplr wallet extension for your browser working within the cosmos ecosystem. And that airdrops are given to ALL who are staking and that you can claim them retroactively is such a great way to do it.

So, it’s like this. If you think you’re going to own a cold storage wallet some day, make it today.

Plexellent
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Please forgive my ignorance, i have just brought a ledger and found fees to transfer to cold are alot. Is this the norm? I just bought a small amount of Algo and Mana. Any advice on cost effective transfers from an exchange to cold wallet.

hashgraph9
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When you think it’s worth spending the money to secure your assets, then it’s worth it.

BWallis17
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I had the same question, but then it became less about amount and more just basic security and peace of mind. I was reading too many stories about hacks, frozen exchange accounts, etc. So I’m in the process of moving everything over to my new Nano X, just spending a lot of time reading & researching before moving each coin type.

ChillServative
      Gast
      Up
      Down

$400…double the cost of a ledger

BronnOP
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When what you hold is worth more to you than the price of the ledger OR if your holdings are worth less than a ledger, but you’d be very angry if you lost them – then a ledger is also worth it.

brianddk
      Gast
      Up
      Down

$0.00, that’s my threshold

You should get a Ledger for exchange security even before you use it for portfolio security. If you have an exchange account linked to a bank account, all funds in that bank account are at risk from an exchange user-account attack. The BEST way to prevent this is to secure your exchange, email, bank and cell-phone provider using the “FIDO U2F” app on Ledger. The next-best way to protect your accounts is to use the Ledger “Passwords” app as your password manager to ensure all accounts (exchange, email, phone, bank) have randomized user-ids and randomized passwords.

Honestly the hardware-wallet feature is secondary to these other apps IMHO.

Badmac1388
      Gast
      Up
      Down

The day you start buying crypyo

koserries
      Gast
      Up
      Down

At the beginning, it will be cheaper in the long run if your planning on hodling. Can save u on future transfer (exchange to wallet) if you use coinly to buy and hodl. I got into crypto because I liked the idea of having control over my coins. When using an exchanges you don’t have ownership of your crypto and it’s not even insured.

10b0b
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Its a good mindset to be in from day 1 – not your keys, not your coins.

P99163
      Gast
      Up
      Down

To each his own, meaning the threshold will depend on your wealth and risk tolerance. Generally speaking, it’s the amount that if lost, you’d say “Oof, it hurts 🤕”. For me, it’s $300+.

shyrix
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Lol honestly my wallet is holding less than $300 atm but i keep shit in there i intend to hodl. Stuff that gets moved around stays on exchanges

CryptoTokyo
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I did order my Ledger on the same day I started investing in Crypto. Still the best decision I took. I never worried about security, never doubted my ledger
      Once you get used to it, it is like having cloth on you. You don’t get out without it

stockchip
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Whenever you care about security

[deleted]
      Gast
      Up
      Down

[deleted]

metulburr
      Gast
      Up
      Down

A lot of people say 1,000 or more

Jarlaxle_Essex
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Anything over £1,000

BobbyPeruToYou
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I would say you should buy one as soon/early as possible. An additional consideration besides how much money you have invested is what type of project you are invested in. Certain projects like STRONG cannot be moved once setup so you are stuck with whatever wallet you started with. So if you used MM on its own (not connected to your ledger), you would always be tied to that address even if you added a ledger later.

Some people do the trick where they transfer their whole MM account to ledger but you are just moving your original seed phrase over which is not truly secure. So my take is if you think you are going to invest in anything other than the basic tier one stuff, buy one now.

Responsible_Title_81
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When they need someone to play the Joker

Quarks01
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When it gets to the point where if you lost your entire portfolio it would have a sizable and noticeable impact to your life, this is probably the right time. Of course before then is even better but I feel like that is the point where spending that extra $50 or $100 to secure your assets would pay off

throwaway092921
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Well, Crypo .com just got hacked. right? That’s the main app I used to buy and sell crypto. I believe I’ve read somewhere where another CEX (Coinbase?) also got hacked before. Anyway, of course little ol me was not affected by said hack. After all, I do not have anything substantial in my portfolio. However, they are substantial to ME. But that’s relative, right? To me it became worth it when I started to feel like “why would I trust what’s substantial to ME, and a coin I believe in (tech, team, vision, prospective case use’s’) on someone else’s hands?”. Right then was when I decided what I feel like is gold in my hands, is not actually in my hands. Why would I trust MY gold in some else’s hands? Right?

I moved a portion of my treasured coins into my Nano X. The rest are scattered about in various platforms. Ready to play with, should circumstances warrant. Whatever those circumstances may be. In short, I kept some liquid. The portion in cold storage I’m treating like buried gold. It is mine, and only I have access to it. If the project pulls through like I believe it will, I feel like I’m holding a ton of BTC when it first jumped from a few cents to a few dollars. I can literally just forget it even exists and re-asses my thesis based on facts a few years from now.

Think if you had xxxx BTC @ 20c. Whatever. I’m literally just guessing small numbers. If you could’ve put those into a Nano X, years and years and years pass by and you’re watching you buried treasure just go up and up and up. And NO ONE in the world knows who you are as this anonymous Bitcoin millionaire. Sounds like fairy tale stuff right? Except, there exists Bitcoin millionaires who were there at the beginning. I’m pretty sure a lot of those guys/gals wealth are anonymously stored in their respective cold wallets.

/rant. Best of luck in whatever project you are vested in. I hope they succeed!

tiredfornow1
      Gast
      Up
      Down

For me. It’s probably over $1000. I will only keep less than that on a hot wallet.

_Commando_
      Gast
      Up
      Down

When you have more $ in crypto that is worth more than the Ledger itself.

Lhadar31
      Gast
      Up
      Down

More than 100k

Ansicht von 32 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.