Home Foren Ledger Wallet Wer bei klarem Verstand würde Ledger Recover verwenden?

Ansicht von 27 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Nach all den Rückschlägen der letzten Woche, in denen wir verschiedene Sicherheitsbedenken über die Ankündigung von Ledger Recover geäußert haben, ist es offensichtlich, dass niemand Ledger Recover nutzen wird. Worauf setzen sie überhaupt, wenn sie diese Funktion einführen?

baddabaddabing
      Gast
      Up
      Down

This is obviously aimed at a mass market focused on convenience, as the 50k insurance for this service.

It’s not hard for me to agree that this is a huge user group that dwarfs the current user base. If you want to grow your business, you should try to cover this audience. I’m not angry about this.

What I don’t understand is that with this approach, Ledger hasn’t launched a separate product line with separate firmware. Like a slightly changed “Nano X Cloud” device that is even included for free in the subscription to the service.

Express_Vacation_
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Considering 90% of people keep their crypto on exchanges/hot wallets, not everyone is as security minded as you’d think

Pepperoneous
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Normies, this is obvious. The fact that they haven’t cancelled the feature altogether after backlash tells me there is a substantial interest in it and that crypto purists (like much of reddit) aren’t the only folks using the product.

Plenty of people prefer a “lost password” function over keeping their password safe themselves, this is no different. I’m sure this feature brings the product to a much wider audience.

Anonymous190127
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Like it or not the market for this is enormous. The barriers to entry in bitcoin are very high for the average person and the pitfalls of extreme personal responsibility and self custody shouldn’t be underestimated. Check any website with a log in sections most used feature…. It’s the forgotten my password button.

Ledger dropped the ball in many ways on this one but product market fit wasn’t one of them. The demographic who will use it aren’t on this sub.

Avanchnzel
      Gast
      Up
      Down

>it’s evident that no one will use Ledger Recover

The only thing that’s evident is that there is *some* percentage of people who are apprehensive about this feature. But if you count every single person that voiced their apprehension about this feature, then you would probably not even have most of the Ledger customer base.

And most of Ledger’s target group with this feature aren’t existing customers anyway, but the millions that are still on exchanges or are using hot wallets.

For them, even Ledger with recovery is better than what they currently use.

Would Ledger without recovery be even better? Sure. In terms of security alone it would.

But there will be people who are perfectly fine with the tradeoff of recovery, if that means they won’t lose their seed. Just because you or I don’t need/want this feature and care about keeping our seed away from anyone else, doesn’t mean there won’t be people who would like that feature enough to finally switch from an exchange or hot wallet to Ledger.

You could view it as a first step for them, to get used to hardware wallets, while not being afraid of losing their seed.

r_a_d_
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I don’t think that the people that would use this feature lurk in this sub. I guess the point is they are trying to solve the issue of people losing their seed. They probably have visibility on how bad that problem is through their support system. So they offer something that can be less secure than managing the seed directly, but safer for accidental loss. It’s still a self custody solution and safer than leaving on a CEX since no one entity has the ability to recover your seed.

Personally, I don’t need the service. To mitigate the risk of accidental loss, I have multiple ledgers configured with the same seed, on top of a paper backup.

Gloomy_Square_6204
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I’ll keep using ledger, but won’t touch L Live

AshamedFlame
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Treats where you are wrong. I would say the market is huge. Vast majority of people will choose convenience. Decentralisation, trustless and all that shit doesn’t matter to most, despite what you might want to think.

Wayne2018ZA
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I very much doubt anyone will pay $10 for life to “secure” maybe a few thousand dollars, just in case. If someone is that technologically un-savvy, they probably won’t even know how to use “Ledger Recover” correctly. I believe this will be one of the biggest flops in tech industry history. Ledger must have come up with this stupid idea at some drunken Bastille Day party. Hopefully they ditch it completely.

robomartin
      Gast
      Up
      Down

It’s a custodial solution that lets one interact with defi, NFTs, ordinals, DEXs, etc. I think that’s pretty novel. I don’t need it, but I can see the appeal.

Not everyone can keep a seed phrase. Maybe they live in close quarters with nosy housemates, or for whatever reason they don’t trust their spouse or significant other and are afraid of them getting access to the physical phrase, but would still want a way of getting the funds distributed in a Will.

The glaring problem is that the inability to ever recover your actual 24 words ties one to the service indefinitely if they don’t keep a copy of their seed phrase.

Of course if you left this service you should generate a new phrase and move all of your funds anyway, but I’d still want access to my old wallets for record keeping purposes even if I don’t use them.

So you need to keep a copy of your seed phrase anyway, which sort of negates the point if say you are either afraid of losing the seed phrase or afraid of it falling in the wrong hands.

I think they do need to make the actual seed phrase recoverable somehow. Although I do see how that could be a security risk.

grandphuba
      Gast
      Up
      Down

People that are not well-informed or people that find the risk of trusting an entity far less than the risk of holding their own resources.

This is really almost no different from asking who in their right mind would use a bank vs stuffing their money under the mattress, except that banks are regulated and have lots of safeguards.

I won’t use Ledger Recover myself, and I certainly recognize the deception and braindead security model Ledger has involved themselves with, but I think it would be a stretch to see there is no use-case for Ledger Recover. The idea is there, the execution is just shittingly shitful.

giraffesbluntz
      Gast
      Up
      Down

If you want your crypto investments to be worth a lot, mass adoption is needed. Mass adoption will never happen without concessions like this service to make it more fool proof for all the normies.

GetEmDaddy902
      Gast
      Up
      Down

🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

This can’t be a real fucking post that you can’t comprehend the people that would use it.

Just last week a guy lost his seed phrase, I bet he wish he had it enabled and there have been many more people. Use it or don’t but don’t act as stuck up piece of shit that can’t comprehend that basic of it, it’s an option if you wanna use……..

I’m sure your bank and drivers license,credit cards,etc. Have all your info already and every major company has your info……so why do you still use them ? Why not just be full crypto and only pay in crypto.

trancephorm
      Gast
      Up
      Down

vaccinated ones 😉

Reccon0xe
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I was thinking the same, should have been friend/family/coworker orientated like Trezor, now to some unknown 3rd parties.

1a2b3c4d5e6fLarry
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I suspect this is the future. All wallets will be legally required to register online. Any wallet not registered online will be criminal.

Zealousideal_Neck78
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Let’s face it, you cannot remain financially or otherwise anonymous if a determined government agency is after you. They’ll find it and you.

Ninjanoel
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Businesses. A business has agreements with other businesses for critical business functions all the time. if you have 4 ledger’s in your organisation for multisig, storing the seed phrases on-site is a huge security risk, this gives you a foolproof backup.

lirumlarum42
      Gast
      Up
      Down

[https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/13o8maj/why_someone_would_pay_for_the_recovery_service/jl4ybgz/?context=3](https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/13o8maj/why_someone_would_pay_for_the_recovery_service/jl4ybgz/?context=3)

Thermousse
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Corporates

azsxdcfvg
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Old people and soccer moms

BodybuilderSalt9807
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Senior citizens and new users who are not familiar with crypto but have large sums to invest.

This is the target market I believe.

These people also don’t care too much about KYC as they have generally done this all their lives.

If we take a step back and look at things objectively, this does make sense from Ledgers standpoint.

But it does not mean the way they did this is correct for those of us who are a bit more savvy.

devouur
      Gast
      Up
      Down

It’s a nice middle ground between leaving your crypto on an exchange and full self custody. I could see a lot of people using it in the future.

RCBT88
      Gast
      Up
      Down

No one in this sub probably. But I see a lot of my friends and family going for it, specially when they think crypto is a scam not backed by any institutional guarantees and all. This might give them that illusion of safety regular financial institutions provide.

GarugasRevenge
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I’d say for safety purposes like for myself, not really. But I imagine an inheritance could use it well, but it’s basically trusting a company to be an executor.

cant_go_tlts_up
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Anyone using a CEX will be served using something like this. However, that is probably not many people on this sub since if ur a member here u likely do not hold everything on a CEX anyway

nutboltUK1
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Where are the 3 shards stored, do they have government involvement? Are the 3 shards easy to decipher with a quantum computer now?

Ansicht von 27 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.