Home Foren Ledger Wallet Wir haben es geschafft! Ledger verzögert Recover Service! Hat die Gemeinschaft gewonnen?

Ansicht von 25 Antwort-Themen
  • Autor
      root_s2yse8vt
      Administrator
      Up
      Down
      ::

Ledger hat beschlossen, das neue Ledger Recover Update zu verschieben, zumindest bis das Update als Open Source veröffentlicht wird.

​

Hat die Gemeinschaft “gewonnen”?

​

[https://decrypt.co/142044/ledger-delays-plans-private-key-recovery-controversy](https://decrypt.co/142044/ledger-delays-plans-private-key-recovery-controversy)

R0Y-BATTY
      Gast
      Up
      Down

“Did the community win?”

No the company lost, hugely.

everxy
      Gast
      Up
      Down

We have done nothing. Ledger delayed it not cancelled it.

BLS55
      Gast
      Up
      Down

people still dont understand the issue here. The problem is not this recovery thing or if they delay or not, the issue is that it is even possible in the first place so why celebrate the delay

Y0rin
      Gast
      Up
      Down

They’re just waiting for the storm to quiet down and then release the same thing again.

Big win!!

FaceDeer
      Gast
      Up
      Down

No, because fundamentally the recovery feature was never the real problem. The fact that it is *possible* to implement this feature is the problem, because that means the hardware is capable of supporting it. The hardware is still capable of supporting it whether the feature ever rolls out or not. It always *was* capable.

There’s one positive out of it; we now know that this capability exists and that Ledger has been lying about it for years in their marketing. The community has “won” in that we’ve made it very clear how angry we are about this, which hopefully means that other hardware wallet companies will see this situation and go “woah jeeze” and take extra care about not doing this kind of thing themselves.

Not sure how Ledger can recover from it, frankly. Trust is easy to break and hard to regain.

BitcoinGoddess666
      Gast
      Up
      Down

No

brianddk
      Gast
      Up
      Down

To a degree, perhaps. The Ledger Recovery service required changes in firmware, software, and back-office infrastructure. The basic design, AFAIK is that your seed-mnemonic is split into shards using Shamir’s algorithm. Then each part is encrypted with Ledger’s “golden key” used for critical cryptography across the Ledger product line. From there the shards are passed from firmware to software which then distributes them to back office servers.

Main complaint is that, even if you removed the back-office services, the firmware and software that shuffle shards around may still exist. Sure these are encrypted with Ledger’s golden key, but if that interview is to be believed, Ledger is just one subpoena away from giving the golden key to EU authorities.

It may be just a technical distinction and not of interest to most users, but it may still bug some people.

Splinterthemaster
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Delayed means nothing. Canceling does.

jebelsbemdisbe
      Gast
      Up
      Down

More like a ceasefire

Rice-Fragrant
      Gast
      Up
      Down

They should simply just make the firmware OPEN SOURCED and also make a dumbed down version of the ledger with the recovery feature, call it “ledger R” or something and be 100% honest with the potential customers how it works.

YaBastaaa
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Many went to trezor and other cold wallets 🤷🏻‍♂️

libert-y
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I didn’t as I bought other hw wallets from different vendors plus fees to move my funds. Thanks Ledger for wasting my time and for the stress

KitchenBreadfruit816
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I went back and forth this past week. I decided to trust that ledger firmware does what it says it does . I don’t like it but 99% ok with it

Reywas3
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Yes.

We won because we found out the seed can leave the device. Thus protecting ourselves from getting our coins rugged, hacked, or subpoened in the future!!!

Long live ledger Recover!!!

FaceMobile6970
      Gast
      Up
      Down

They’ll do something else stupid. Just give them time. The lawyers probably finally got through to the marketing idiots and the CEO that they’ve essentially violated their own publicly stated advertisements selling the ledger as a device where the seed phrase will NEVER EVER leave the device. Hundreds of thousands of now angry customers bought a ledger device based upon this promise that Ledger Recover would violate. They’ll find some workaround and do it anyways. Imho.

Vydrah
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I hope that ledger just get back in touch with their target audience.

Mrlamenterms
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Ahh no they did not haha

medicallyspecial
      Gast
      Up
      Down

We won the battle…the war?….

Lylac_Krazy
      Gast
      Up
      Down

nothing won or gained.

Government oversight and backdoor WILL be there, to think otherwise would be foolhardy.

I will wait and READ the new ~~terms~~ lawyer required boilerplate then decide where the truth is.

BrindleFly
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Just wondering why they don’t fork their products into two editions: those enabled for the optional recovery service and those that are not. Feels like an easy solution to the problem if they have two audiences each with different needs.

Remarkable_Cookie_53
      Gast
      Up
      Down

The only option of winning at all is if Ledger went full out open-source and I doubt it will even work after this shitshow.

[deleted]
      Gast
      Up
      Down

[deleted]

Heatproof-Snowman
      Gast
      Up
      Down

I think no one won in this case, as delaying the launch of the service doesn’t change the issues which have been uncovered.

Ledger has hurt their business badly, and its users have realised that the secure element of their hardware wallet is less secure than what they believed until last week.

RabidMining
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Nope ledger is over it went from keys never being able to leave to now it is possible ledger will never be the same.

The_real_trader
      Gast
      Up
      Down

Can someone explain what all this ledger stuff that’s been so viral what is going like I’m a 5 year old? Please

Ansicht von 25 Antwort-Themen
  • Du musst angemeldet sein, um auf dieses Thema antworten zu können.